Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Reverence

I pretty much love the whole Bible. Tonight I was reading in Philippians. This just really spoke to me.

Work Hard to show the results of your salvation, obeying God with deep reverence and fear. For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases Him. Philippians 2:12-13

The word Reverence is in the Bible lots. It is in the Old and New Testament. I have looked up the dictionary meaning but I think that there is more to it than that. One of the things that I see a lot of churches doing these days is forgetting to teach that we are suppose to have reverence towards the Lord. It seems that God has turned into the ever loving Father that would never treat us like misbehaving children. Reverence and Fear.

Do you remember early in the Bible when the Israelites were actually scared of God? Sure they grumbled and mumbled but they also feared him. Do you remember when they made Him mad he sent his wrath on them a few times. Illness, Snakes and then he pledged that none of them would ever get to go into the land of milk and honey.

Isn't this the stuff that Reverence is made out of?

What does Reverence mean to you?

Am I missing a point and getting confused?

5 comments:

Roger Garrett said...

Reverence to me just means remembering who is boss.

Heidi said...

Reverance too me is the AWE of His presence in my life.

Natalie Witcher said...

Reverence to me equals godly humility. He's God...I'm not.

(button looks weird, we'll try again.)

Anonymous said...

You've quite hit the point right on its head. Reverence is ultimate respect.

Amy said...

I do think it is something lacking these days. Sometimes it seems like God is viewed as a doughy Santa-type who winks at our sin and gives us the "you're only human" pass.
In fact, this is a point that has been grieving me a great deal recently. Interesting you should bring it up.