Thursday, April 24, 2008

Whiskeytown Lake - Fridays Outing

Last week I showed you Mount Shasta and Lake Shasta. This week I am showing you the lake that we actually play in. Whiskeytown is west of Redding. I think it takes us about 20 minutes to get there. It has alot of history. In 1963, John F. Kennedy dedicated the dam that created the lake.



The story that I have been told is that at the bottom of it is the town of Whiskeytown. They chose to dam it up and create at a resevior. There are several day use areas and campgrounds. There are also miles and miles of hiking trails. Every year they have a Discover Whiskeytown Falls week. As you can see from the picture they are really pretty. There is also the Whiskeytown Environmental School . Both of my kids have been. They attended in the 5th grade. They came home dirty and tired and ready for a real bed. They also came home excited and happy.

Next week I am covering something special for Kim. I am sure you all will enjoy it but this weekend when I go out taking pictures I am going to be thinking of her. Can anybody guess next week's location? Have a blessed weekend!

5 comments:

Kim Heinecke said...

Ohhhh, can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!

Roger Garrett said...

I have only been to the southern part of Cali. Too much desert for me. Looks like I need to get up north

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to reading!

Robin Meadows said...

Oooo, it's beautiful! Something about camping for Kim?? Looking foward!

Joylene Green said...

hi there. Although I'm from southern Ca I lived in Redding for about a year in the 90s. It is beautiful. I love to see the pics!

:)