Thursday, March 13, 2008

My Mom - Part 1

It is hard to figure out where to start when you want to talk about your life. I covered places that I have lived. Now I think I will cover some stuff with my mom.

My mom was born late in my grandmother's life. She was also their only child. She was seriously spoiled. That song by the Beach Boys about daddy taking the T-Bird away so describes my mom's teen years. Except that my grandfather never kept the car for long.

My mom has a wild streak even now. She can be a kick in the pants if you aren't relying on her to raise you. Fortunately she relinquished me every weekend to my grandmother. (I'll write about her soon)

Mom had me when she was 18. She graduated high school six months pregnant with me. She was married to my father. So when the school tried to kick her out my grandfather had to go in and fight for her right to finish high school. I know my grandparents were upset that she was pregnant and married at 18 but I think they more upset because my father was a Mexican. I was born in 1968 and I guess the whole interracial marriage thing still didn't go over well.

My parents got divorce before I was a year old. Which if you have to come from a broken home I think that was the best way. I don't have any memories of them together. I had no idea what I had lost. My mom never remarried or had any other kids. I am it for her.

Mom did what she had to do to support us. She has great work ethic and always had a job, Sometimes two. In my younger years she was very wild. I remember seeing things when I was little that I shouldn't have. One night I woke up and needed to use the bathroom. The house we lived in had a jack and jill bathroom. When I went into the bathroom the door on the other side was open. Guess what I spied at the tender age of five....They were having an orgy. Yes a real orgy. My mom was dating a guy named Steve that use to watch me after kindergarten. He decided it would be fun to see what a kid is like when they are high. So he blew pot smoke in my face over and over until I was high. My mom came home and she was really really mad and kicked him out. Then to make up for it she bought me 2 gold fish.

I had stated in a previous post that my mom had moved us for 2 weeks to Arkansas. When we moved back she smoked a joint with some friends that was laced with something. She wigged out the entire night. The next day she swore she would never do drugs again. To this day she hasn't. I don't believe she ever did anything more than smoke pot but it was great when she quit do that.

I will continue my/her story next. I didn't realize how long it would be.

4 comments:

Roger Garrett said...

Wow I can't wait for the rest of this one. I had a stepdad that was a stoner for years. My parents divorced when I was 12 so I remember it well. They got along fine just coudln't be married so we still had lots of family together time

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing, young lady (1968?? that makes my 9 years OLDer). Looking forward to reading more. :)

deleise said...

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Robin Meadows said...

Wow! Another curse breaker....loving it!