Sunday, July 6, 2008

I am Married to a Smuggler/ F-I-L Update

Thank you all that have been praying for my Father In Law's surgery and recovery. The procedure went well. He looks great already. It is amazing what prayer, food, nutrition and chopping off an infected part of your body can do for you. Mel is looking at 6 weeks of rehab and a prosthetic. There is a period of depression that the doctor warned him about that usually comes about 2 weeks into rehab. We are hoping that his strength will be good enough to come home in the next 3 weeks and continue with the remainder of his rehab as an outpatient. I will update you on any new developments. Thank you all again for your support.


I would like to introduce you all to my husband Craig the Smuggler! We were all at the hospital when Mel was brought to his room from recovery. We stayed awhile and then a group of us left. Craig stayed behind and talked to his dad for awhile. When Craig finally left to come home for a bit he asked his dad if he could bring him anything back. Mel wanted a milkshake. YES A MILKSHAKE!!!



Now I am pretty sure that that is not on the list of acceptable foods to eat when you have had half your leg cut off and you are diabetic. Well my wonderful husband wanting to make his father feel better brought him one of those pictured above. He smuggled it in the hospital and Mel started drinking it. They got busted by the nurse. The nurse though was wimpy and wouldn't take it away. She did have to call Jack in the box to find out how many carbs was in it to get him the right amount of insulin. The lady nurse then sent in the big man nurse and he was a little intimidating. Craig stood his ground and Mel told mannurse it was good and he would do it again. Ryan, Hope and I were laughing so hard we almost pee'd our pants.

Tomorrow we are expecting to see a DO NOT FEED THE PATIENTS sign.

If you are ever having any surgeries, let me know and I will send over the smuggler to bring you waxy choclate donuts, Starbucks, Lava Cake, etc.

8 comments:

deleise said...

Oh my goodness! That is funny. I want you to bring me all three. So glad his surgery went well.

Kim Heinecke said...

Clearly this man has his priorities straight! Kudos to you, Craig!

Anonymous said...

I bet that smuggling husband of yours made his dad's day.

Good call.

Roger Garrett said...

My wife is diabetic so I know that struggle all to well.

Heidi said...

I want him to smuggle in some Oreos and a blizzard. K?

Hey do I have to wait until I have surgery?

Love ya girl. Been really praying for you these last few days.

Natalie Witcher said...

Thank you so much for being willing to smuggle things for me.

Unknown said...

"The lady nurse then sent in the big man nurse"

i don't know why, but that really struck me as funny!

mandy said...

oh gosh. so i just realized that my husband was logged into my computer.

my husband = drew = andrew.

andrew = mandythompson

i'm such a dork.