Monday, August 25, 2008

Bricktown/Bombing Memorial

Friday Morning I was a little slow moving. There is a 2 hour time difference. I will use it as an excuse but basically I was tired. I also wanted to be near my computer at 11 am OK time because Barlow Girl tickets were going on sale here in Redding then. So I got showered and moving. I wanted to go to the Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial while I was there. Robin had decided that Friday was a good time to do that so after I bought my tickets online we left.

We decided to have lunch at a rib place. It is called Earl's Rib Palace. I had a wonderful sandwich. They have curly fries. Not the kind that have a coating of seasoning but just potatoes that are curly fries. They were wonderful. I ate every single one of them. I also decided at that moment that I was not going to worry about my WW points while I was there. I was going to try and be careful but I wasn't going to beat myself up about it either.

After lunch we walked around in Bricktown. They have made a cute little river that runs through that area. They also have some amazing sculpture there. There is appearently over 100 more pieces that will be installed as they are completed. The sculpture depicts a wagon train and it is life size. I enjoyed seeing this. It is beautiful. You can see that alot of work has been done to revitalize this area.

We headed to the Oklahoma City National Memorial. The outside memorial was peaceful. The three story museum was not. The museum is amazing for the artifacts that it shows. It is put together wonderfully, with great care and respect. It is very hard to deal with some of the stuff you see and the stories you hear. I don't believe that it is any less sad when adults are killed then children. It is just a little more chilling. I asked Robin What makes someone wake up and say "Today I am going to go blow up a building". I just can't grasp it in my mind.
This is the interior of the arch you walk through. It says 9:01. That is the time the bomb went off. There is a statue across the street that is Jesus weeping with his back to the memorial.

The exterior of this arch says;

WE COME HERE TO REMEMBER THOSE
WHO WERE KILLED,
THOSE WHO SURVIVED
AND THOSE CHANGED FOREVER

MAY ALL WHO LEAVE HERE
KNOW THE IMPACT OF VIOLENCE

MAY THIS MEMORIAL OFFER
COMFORT, STRENGTH, PEACE,
HOPE & SERENITY



The last line on the wall is "God Demands It!"

5 comments:

Roger Garrett said...

I knew people that died that day, Every time I go down there I remember it. Nicely said

Natalie Witcher said...

That place is so amazing. I couldn't believe it when it happened and I still can't.

deleise said...

Great pictures.

And no, it definitely was not a WW points kind of weekend, was it.

Anonymous said...

:( Education sometimes makes me feel sad.

Kim Heinecke said...

I love Earl's. I believe the "Earl's claim to fame" is that Earl himself used to be the personal cook for Elvis. That's what I read at the restaurant once.